Thursday, November 18, 2004

Names

If our child is a boy I really want to name him Hobbes. Mandy liked the name as well, that is untill she found out she was pregnant. We tell people Hobbes might be our boy name and they make fun of us and say that would be a horrible thing to do to a child. I think the name is so cool and I don't understand what is wrong with it. I think Mandy has lost faith in the name and to be honest I'm slipping a bit too. I love the name, but I'm also beginning to love my unborn child and I don't want to scar him for life by giving him a horrible name. But our child may be a girl and we won't have to worry about it untill we have another child. But is Hobbes really that bad of a name?

8 comments:

Jamie said...

A name doesn't make a person, a person makes the name. How bad would Keifer or Keanu sound if they weren't famous actors? Just a thought.

peterkevinson said...

1 for Hobbes 0 for some other name

Stetlers said...

I think it's a great name. It's hard to find an original name. We didn't know any other child named Riley three years ago and now it's on the top 100 name list. We're hoping Trey will stay unique! As for Hobbes, I don't think you have to worry about it becoming overly popular. Now I need info on the girl name. If you can't tell, I'm really excited for you guys. I want to get pregnant again, but it's way not the right timing for us right now. So, I'm living vicariously (sp?) through you guys that are!!!

peterkevinson said...

2 for Hobbes, 0 for some other name
Though I'm not sure what you meant by saying I won't have to worry about that name becoming to popular.

peterkevinson said...

3 for Hobbes, 0 for some other name

I just got off the phone with Eric S. who casted his vote for Hobbes. This is starting to look promising.

Stetlers said...

I only meant that you have succeeded in finding a name that is both unique and cool!

James said...

I would like to vote for Calvin Wesley Peterson. I think it is distinguished and how can anyone possibly make fun of the name Calvin? Calvin Alvin? Crazy Calvin? The Calvinator??? All harmless.

Hobbes on the other hand... How about "Hey Hobbit!" or "Hey, do you have any Hobbeseys?" or "Hey Calvin and Hobbes!" I think you get my point. Very painful name calling here! You have to put every name through the gauntlet.

Eric and Kerri must not have thought of "Smiley Riley" and "The Ice Cube Trey".

- a kid who used to get picked on... alot!

peterkevinson said...

That's 3 for Hobbes and 1 for some other name.