Monday, November 01, 2004

From Colon, Argentina

We´ve been at our work sight for a day now. It is in this town of about 25,000 in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. It is a whole different world for me. I always thought that because I am white, American, tall, and male that it would be hard for me to feel out of place anywhere. Not that I want that, I just know that makes me a member of a very powerful group. I feel weak here. I don´t feel in control. I feel I am looked at differently. It is a very good experience for me. I will treat the Hispanics in Mt. Vernon who don´t speak English with so much more compassion.

Moved lots and lots of dirt today and probably will move even more the rest of the week. But it had to be near 90 today without a cloud in the sky, it was wonderful. I like it here, I like my group. No close friends yet and that´s okay, but the older people in the group take care of me well. They all make fun of me cause I´m a Nazarene, they think I´m pretty conservative. I´ll let them think that. Most go, have a wonderful day!

No comments: