Thursday, September 09, 2004

I get to talk

A former prof. over at MVNU asked me to come talk to a class of Religion majors that he has. I'm in a unique position, only a year into my first pastorate (sp?), and he wants me to share out of that experience. I thought I would blog here to prepare for what I need to talk about. He asked me to share on two talking points?
What have I experienced in this last year that I didn't expect?
-How hard it would be to preach every week. It is really hard to bring a fresh word from God to His people every week.
-How much everybody would love and support me in our church.
-Things don't automatically happen because you dream that they will.
-Idealism and reality don't always get along. But some of the people I love must in this life I have not always gotten along with and I still hang out with them.
-What wonderfull gifts God would give us when we least expected them.
-People aren't perfect after hearing me preach every week, I'm usually not either.
-This faith walk is a journey.
-Community takes work and sacrifice.
What is has been like to juggle being a pastor and a full time seminary student?
-They truly help me do the other better. Being a pastor helps me ask the right questions in seminary and seminary helps me be a better pastor.
-There is still not enough time in the day, but it helps me manage my time better.
-It makes me wonder if I should become a viocational pastor when I am done with seminary. If I can do seminary and be a pastor why can't I work a job and be a pastor. Only thing I don't have enough time for now is administrative stuff and I hate that stuff anyway.
I hope that's enough talking points to last an hour. I hope they talk a lot as well.

No comments: