Tuesday, September 14, 2004

How?

How did I ever become like I am today? My mom recently noted that I was an extremely quite kid who would rarely open an share his feelings. One time when I was a little kid, under 6 I believe, my parents went out and left me and my sister with a babysitter. I think I was asleeep when they got home, so they didn't notice the handprint on my face untill the next day. They couldn't get me to tell them what happened for anything. I remember going to day care the next day and the teachers trying to get it out of me as well, but they also didn't have any success. (Can you say children's services?)
I guess it was my sister who finally told them what happened. The babysitter had to make sure we took baths that night she was watching us and she specifically told me to wash behind my ears, so I did. She didn't believe me when I told her I did and I refused to go wash behind my ears again, so she smacked me across the face hard enough to leave her hand print on my cheek for three days. Needless to say she never watched us again.
So why did I tell you that story? Cause it shows why kind of kid I was. I was pretty quiet and I never really opened up about my feelings. I probably didn't like getting hit so I imagine I thought the less I talk about it the less I have to deal with it.
The more I look back on my childhood and early adolesant (sp?) years I see that really shy kid who was a tad bit backward. That's not the person I see in me today. While I still might be a tad bit backward:) I'm definetly not the shy kid anymore. I love having close friends and sharing life with people on a deep level (even though it still takes a while for me to open up on a deep level). I love meeting new people and introducing them to my closests friends, Jesus being my favorite. I just love living life, but for me living life almost always has to be done with others. I could jump out of an airplane and it would only be a so so experience unless I got to do it with a friend. Life is meant to be lived and experienced with others, well at least for me.
When I was a kid that wasn't the case. I never had to many friends. What formed me or changed me into what I am now. I can't look back to any specific experiences or situations that changed me in one way or another. I guess who I was as a kid was just who I was for that time and who I am now is just who I am for now. But at the same time life formed me into something completely different.
As I look back I can see the love of my parents that gave me the security to come out of my shell. I see my youth group at Bedford Naz who gave me a place to belong. I see a God who opened my eyes to true life and pushed me to experience it in its' fullness.
As I look back across my life I see how blessed I truly am. In some ways I feel like Abraham, blessed so that I may be a blessing. The cool thing is that when I get to be a blessing, I feel even more blessed. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kev. You are truly a blessing to Dad and me.
We love the man you have become, and the challenges the
Lord has given you that you have accepted with grace
and courage, courage to take on the planting of a
church in an at risk area, living there and loving
those people in spite of the ugliness of some of their
lives. It would be so easy to throw in the towel sometimes, I'm sure, but you have stayed the course
and are fighting the good fight, a fight that will
have eternal consequences in the lives of those people
who call you their pastor and friend.
Love you always,
Mom