Saturday, January 29, 2005

Sports

This whole having a kid thing has changed the way I think about a whole lot of things. Tonight I went to a Mount Vernon basketball game and watched them lose by a point. There were a couple of bad calls (I guess that is only my opinion) towards the end of the game and when I saw the refs leaving the court after the game I wished I was closer to them so I could tell them they sucked. I haven’t felt those kind of emotions in me in a long time and I wish I hadn’t felt them tonight. It was stupid; I wanted to tear down and humiliate another human being because I thought he made a couple of incorrect calls in a high school basketball game? Personally I don’t care if I ever go to another sports game again. It just brings the worst parts of me out.

Oh yeah, back to the kid thing. Chances are Lucy and any other kids we have will play sports of some kind. I can only imagine how bad my attitude would have been tonight if my kid was on the team. Actually I did talk to a Father of a kid on the team and he seemed a bit worse off than me. Why do we care so much about sports? How can I teach my kids not to care even if they do play? Luckily, Mandy and I have a few years to figure that stuff out.

Organized sports are stupid, nothing more than one person trying to dominate another to show that they are somehow better than another. Well, at least that is the way they are played right now in the world I see.

No comments: