Wednesday, January 19, 2005

snow shovels

I was getting out of the shower this morning and I heard someone knocking on the door so I threw some clothes on real quick. I saw it was a couple of kids from the neighborhood who had snow shovels in hand. I thought to myself that all I had was a bunch of quarters and I hope they'll take that. I opened the door and the two kids, whom I know pretty well, asked if they could shovel my sidewalk for free. I said, "No, I can pay you." But they said that they wanted to do it for free, so I let them.

I then walked inside and almost started to cry. These kids weren't youth group kids doing a community service project, they were two kids who wanted to do something nice for me and Mandy. I remember having a conversation about a year ago with one of the kids teacher. I asked her if she knew this kid and she shivered and basically said how rotten this kid was. I was glad I got to see how good he is this morning.

I feel like I get to see glimpses of the Kingdom every once in a while, and I feel like this morning was one of them. I think maybe he has seen the Kingdom in the life of our church, even though he isn't really a part of our church, and he likes it and maybe he is trying to imitate life in the Kingdom. I think it is time he meets the King. Pray for Marcus.

No comments: