Monday, January 17, 2005

MY MOM

The year is still young, but I think I pulled into the lead for worst son of the year award. Last Friday (1/14) was my moms birthday and I completely forgot all about it. And it wasn't just any birthday for her, it was her 60th b-day (I hope I don't get into more trouble for sharing her age on the internet).

Mom,
I just want to let you know that I think you are the best mom anyone could ever ask for. You have meant so much to me throughout my life and you have never failed to be there for me when I needed you. You even put up with me during those times when I was trying to figure who I was and what I really believed. You gave me space to grow, but also the comfort of knowing if I ever fell you would be there to help me get back up again.

What is really cool about you is that you are not the same mom you were when I was a kid. I've gotten to watch you grow throughout my life. You were 32 when I was born and most people are pretty much set in their ways by that age and maybe you were for all I know now. But God got ahold of you in some pretty powerful ways over these last 28 years and I've seen you let Him change you. That has been a powerful lesson to me as I try to always be open to a new work of God in my life.

Knowing that I am going to be a dad here in about five months leads me to pray that Mandy and I can be as good as parents as you and dad were for me and sis. You two are a powerful example for us. You guys weren't always perfect, but you admitted when you were wrong and always tried to be better, which wasn't always the case in my trying to be a good son. I look forward to our children (well one for now anyway) being able to learn from you and dad what I have learned over my life.

I'm exited knowing that our child will get to continue to watch you grow as they grow up. You have a faith that is so active and God uses that to continally make you new. St. Paul talks about people following him as He follows Christ. I want you to know that I follow you as you follow Christ. I am who I am today in such a great measure because of you and your faithfullness in following Christ.

I love you mom and I always will. Thanks for being my mom!

your favorite son,
kevin (b-bub)


2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow, talk about making up for missing a birthday. Happy Birthday Mrs. Peterson!! Hope it was a great one.
Kevin doesn't know you can get a worst son award when you are about to give your mom another grandchild to spoil, huh? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Kev,

Thanks for the wonderful tribute. You are a wonderful
son and I appreciate you so much. But, as you know,
all the glory goes to our Savior and Lord for any good
that comes out of my life. I am so grateful you have
seen Him working in my life and that His work can be
an example to you. I am so looking forward to the
blessing of another little one in our family. I know
you and Mandy are going to be great parents.

Love you,
Mom