Saturday, January 14, 2006

Be successful and carry your cross?

We are so pragmatic. We want to do things to be successful. So we do things to help us be successful without much thought to what we should be doing. The cross wasn’t very pragmatic. Why do we do church in such a way that is only geared to being successful. Why can’t we do it in such a way that is geared towards being faithful?

We hear all this stuff about numbers, why not more about the marginalized. We hear all this stuff about numbers, why not more about justice. We hear all this stuff about numbers, why not more about loving your neighbor. If we care about the marginalized, fighting for justice, and loving our neighbor we might find ourselves on a cross and not in a large growing church. Yet we are people of the Resurrection and the gift of Pentecost; I wonder where that leads us?

1 comment:

Brett W. said...

I was sitting at a "The District Leadership Tour" attempting to take in what they had decided was the end all be all of ministry at least for this year when I heard phrases like:

"Choose who you loose."
"If church isn't more fun than the pool then leave the kids in the pool."

All the famous preacher celebs were quoted: Bill Hybels, Rick Warren, Mike Slaughter...

I heard quotes from "Purpose Driven Church."

At the end the Bible was mentioned once in passing. "Let the little children come to me."

Although the speaker spoke against the me church all I heard was the importance of entertaining children, and I thought isn't there more value to our faith then entertainment.

I thought I was going to sufficate in all the blah, blah, fluff.