Sunday, October 24, 2004

highlights

Had a real good service today, I think because I realized that God is enough. Had lots of college kids there today, most of whom I never met before, it was weird to not personally know a third of the congregation this morning. I never really know how to react to their coming. We had some wonderful highlights this morning.

-Last night Mandy asked me why God has yet to give us someone to help with music, so we prayed about it. Today, one of the college kids came up to Mandy after the service and introduced himself to her. He said he is an international student from Romania and his church back home is just like ours; we sing the same songs, do testimonies the same way and even our bulletins look the same. He told Mandy that at the begining of the service he noticed all the similarities except that he played guitar at his home church. He thought maybe he could play for us, but he said he didn't have enough time. Then he heard me preach on God is enough, so I guess he heard God speak to him and he wants to help us and be commited to us. Go figure, God answers prayers.

-I guy in our church who is having some tough times lately came up after church and said the message of the morning really spoke to him and he rarely if ever gives me feedback like that. I felt it was one of my most scattered sermons in a long time, yet in my weakness God was enough.

-And now my favorite one. This guy (guy A) I've known for over five years now came and told me he was going to come to church today this past week. I've heard that a million times from people who've never showed up and that's ok, but today this guy A shows up. I haven't got to the cool part yet. This guy does not get along at all with one of his neighbors (guy B) who comes to our church. In fact they have each called the cops on each other at least once in the last year. One of those times was two weeks ago when they almost got into a fight and guy A got taken to jail.

So they are in service together and I wasn't worried about them fighting during church, well maybe a wee little bit. The good news is they just didn't fight during the service, but during our shaking hands times guy B went over and shook guy A's hand and said, "Good to see you here this morning."

Having the biggest crowd we've had in a year doesn't impress me very much, seeing God bring peace, even if just for an hour on Sunday, between two guys who really don't like each other is what keeps me kicking. God is enough.

1 comment:

James said...

Biggest Crowd in over a year... $5
Romainan Kid's Cool Commitment... $50
Seeing God bring peace between two guys... $5000
Realizing God is enough... Priceless!!!

(I love those commericials!!!)