Friday, August 29, 2008

Presidential Politics

As most of you know I have been a big Barack Obama fan, at least early on in the primaries. And if the truth is told, I still lean his way today. I like him better than McCain and I love a lot of things about his candidacy - I love what his candidacy represents for our country. But their are plenty of things that I don't like about him. For starters his views on abortion and this line he says about America being the worlds last great hope (my hope lies elsewhere than America). Right now I'm thinking about not voting in the presidential election as a way of saying as a follower of Jesus I can't honestly support either of these candidates who both offers visions for America that go against almost everything I think the Kingdom teaches.

But on a side note I heard this morning that McCain might pick Alaska's governor for his running mate. Which would be so cool because she is a woman and she has a son with down syndrome who was diagnosed prenatally (which means she could have had an abortion which 90% of the people in her situation choose to do). I can't imagine what it would do for the down syndrome community to have someone like the Vice President with a child with DS. That makes my heart sing! Though having McCain as president makes my heart cry.

2 comments:

Daniel Coutz said...

I have pretty much decided that I won't be voting. When I tell people that they usually get frustrated with me or think I am just being another young person who is apathetic. I'm excited to go back to Westside next week. I would be there next week, but I have to go to the chapel service on campus.

Anonymous said...

I am not real sure about voting either. I used to preach to people that they should vote in every election. I truly believed that if you don't vote, you have not right to complain. I honestly do not think I will be voting this time. Is it right to vote on the lesser of two evils?