Wednesday, February 20, 2008

No Singing

This Sunday for our service we're not going to be doing any singing. The reason being that our normal musicians are out of town and our backup is sick. I normally try to convince people who hate leading music to lead in these situations but I won't do that anymore. Also I've wanted to do this for awhile now anyway to try to expand our view of what corprate worship can be. The reason I post this is to see if any of you out there have any ideas for what we should do besides singing and the normal preaching. I have some ideas, but if you have any please give them to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

An art project or show and tell.

Allowing interruptions in the "sermon" by prompting questions and responses (more than just yes or no).

Focused silence.

Intentional noise!

What do I know?

EF + said...

I think silence, scripture and sacrament are always appropriate.

Peace

EF + said...

how about stations of the cross?

Daniel Coutz said...

We should go on a field trip somewhere in the community.

EF + said...

So how did it work out. What did you do?

I had to deal with that very issue on Chrismas Eve. Our regular musician went out of town so we were left trying to figure out what to do with one of the two most imporant celebrations of the year and no musician. We brought someone in.

peterkevinson said...

We...
-read the Apostles Creed.
-read Psalms and people said out loud a praise towards God based on or inspired by the Psalm.
-We sat in silence for two minutes.
-We read responsevely our benediction, instead of singing it, to each other.