Saturday, May 27, 2006

Irresistable Revolution

I just finished Irrisistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne. Honestly one of the best books I have ever read. I've realized why I liked it so much today while I wrote my sermon for tomorrow. It gives the ability to imagine a new way of living life. We are so caught up with passages in Scripture about selling all you own, about believers considering none of their possessions their own, about turning the other cheek, and so many others that seem to only play with our minds. They play with our minds so much because they seem to be on to something so great, but they are so opposite the way our society teaches us to live. We can't even imagine living those passages out in 2006 America. But Shane and his friends in Philly seem to have really taken Jesus words seriously and have found a way to live out what they heard Jesus talking about. I'm not saying we all have to do it just like Shane, he would even say we don't. But after they read those hard passages they imagined another way so opposite our culture and they actually had the balls to live it out.

I've just started imagining a new way for us to follow Christ in the West End of Mount Vernon. Hopefully we'll have the balls to keep on imagining and dreaming together and to then see if our dreams can become reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kev, you had the balls to move down there didn't you?
Ry