Tuesday, August 24, 2004

On a journey

I'm the pastor of a new church in our neighborhood and lately my wife and I have really been struggling with how we do our "church services." We always wonder why we do what we do and we feel we are on a journey to bring more meaning and authenticity to what we do on Sunday mornings. This past Sunday, Mandy, who leads our music, prayed spontaneoulsy where I normally have my pastoral prayer. It was a beautiful prayer that fit perfectly into our service, but it left me in an odd position. You see it would have been too ackward for me to pray again once she was done and I really wanted to lead the church in prayer for some people we really needed to be praying for. I ended up just going on with the service and not praying again at that moment.
It just sounds weird to me that I got frustrated at that, cause Mandy did the right thing in following the Spirit to pray at that time. Is what we do so much a show that things can't happen spontaneously? Why couldn't I allow ackwardness in our service and just continued on with Mandy's prayer? Sometimes I really think I'm missing the point in all of this. I guess that I'm noticing that I'm missing the point is probably a good thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kev,
I feel obedience to the Holy Spirit's leading is the
key in this situation. The Lord knows your heart and
He knows the needs of your people before you even ask.
So, was there any problem in letting Mandy pray as the
Spirit led her? I don't think so. Sometimes we need
to forget about all the needs and just worship the One we love and let Him take care of all the needs and
requests. After all, church is not just about me or us, but about Him, our Savior and Lord.
Love,
Mom
about Him.