Monday, December 20, 2004

The Lost Letters of Pergamum

I just got finished reading "The Lost Letters of Pergamum" by Bruce Longenecker. It has to be my favorite book I've read so far in seminary. It's a must read as far as I'm concerned, especially for my friends who like planting house churches. It is a historical finction book about an early martyr of the church. Powerful stuff, it almost had me in tears as I finished reading it.

It really made me start asking what we are supposed to be as a church. Is our job to attract people to God or to be the people of God? What does it mean to be the people of God in the this fallen world? I asked some hard questions today and I think I'm begining to see some cool answers. I have a lot of hope, which is what Advent suppossed to be about. Eric and Kerri, you seriously need to read this book.

2 comments:

James said...

Sounds great Kev... Mark comes home in a couple days and I am hoping we can all gather sometime the week after Christmas. It will be great to dive into stuff like this book and everything else that seems to drive us together.
I have been meeting with a mentor/friend in my church lately on Tuesday mornings. It has been splendid. I look up to Him so much, he challenges me so much, but it feels like I am sitting down with one of the guys from our apartment in college. It is relaxed, amusing, sometimes hilarious, often really challenging, but in a shared way. I told him about Beer and Bull a couple of weeks ago. He came back last week and said, "Lets start it!" He mentioned it three times before we left. He is serious. It struck a cord in him and his wife. The cool thing is that Kelly and I pretty much do that every night as it is, but his response showed me that we need to share the depths of it more, and not just the food. Folks are hungering for that interaction, and I am hungering for it with you.
Peace brother
Sorry so long! (I think I will copy this to my blog :-) I'm serious. It is so long!)
J

Jamie said...

What is Beer and a Bull?