Friday, April 25, 2008

Random thoughts...

-If we are going to encourage our kids not to go to the military we have to provide a viable alternative for them. I talked to a girl this morning who is going to the Army after she graduates from High School in a few weeks. Honestly, if being in the military didn’t involve killing people or doing other things for our empire that go against the Kingdom it would be a great option for her. What other alternative do I have to offer her?

-Reading books on my front porch is a great way to talk to people. I could sit in my room and read books, but if I do it on my front porch all sorts of people walk by and it just makes room for conversations. Just yesterday I tried it out and had a wonderful conversation with my paper boy. I wonder what other things I can do in my front yard just to make myself more open to my neighbors?

-Just ordered three new kitchen appliances after one of them broke. Am I a slave to the god of consumerism? This one has been really tearing me up inside.

-Served on a jury a few weeks ago. It was a case involving a guy who went to two different doctors and got the same medicine from both (though he went to both for different legitimate reasons and both doctors knew he was seeing the other). He technically broke the law I guess, but in my heart I think he just thought he got lucky. I was ticked off at the prosecutor for even bringing the case. I was the lone juror for 2 hours who said he was not guilty until I was convinced to vote guilty. Not the most pleasant experience in my life.

-Did you know a police officer can look up your prescription history when ever he wants? He can then investigate you and then file charges against you if something looks fishy? I think I might call my state rep about that one and possibly the ACLU.

-Almost done with Shane Claiborne’s “Jesus for President.” GREAT BOOK! Now if I can learn to be a faithful citizen of the Kingdom in the ways I believe Jesus wants me to be. This book has probably influenced all the above thoughts.

2 comments:

Daniel Coutz said...

Your story of serving on the jury makes me want to watch 12 Angry Men again. If you don't mind sharing what made you change your mind and vote guilty?

Its stupid that a cop can search a person's prescription history without a warrant. But the ACLU!? I thought Christians were forbidden to interact with that organization except for sending angry letters.

I just finished Jesus for President last week. It was very good. It seems much easier to read about and discuss the ideas that he presents in this book than it is to live them out.

urBenLA said...

did you turn your old appliance into a planter?.... If not, then your wife is like mine, and we're never going to do that sort of stuff, but we all have to start somewhere and we share clothes for the kids, our wives share maternity clothes, we share book (so we're not all paying full price for the books), and we drive cars that are paid for... I think being responsible stewards of our resources is really the point, and some people allow themselves to take it further, but God need's people with that responsibility in all levels and classes of society to bring that change about and inspire and encourage others towards good stewardship (with our vote, with what we have, with our relationships, and with our money).