Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Where do we place our hope?

I just finished replying to the second email I received in the past week that tries to make you worry that Barack Obama is possibly a radical Muslim. It talks about the Muslim influence in his life, how he got sworn in using the Koran, and how he doesn’t say the pledge of allegiance. Almost all of the email is completely false including the part that says snopes.com backs it all up.

It isn’t the first time I’ve gotten this kind of email. I remember getting them about Clinton, Gore, and Kerry. What I really hate is how they are most likely created by Christians and are passed around by Christians (to be fair, both people who sent me the email were doing it for research purposes because they know I like Obama and they wanted to know if the stuff was true or not.) The real reasons these emails get created and passed around is that we want them to be discredited so that the candidate we support will be elected.

And we have good reasons why we want our candidate to get elected. We think they are the Christian candidate and can lead our country back to where it should be at. Thus, we gossip and lie (very non-Christian things to do) because we want a Christian to be elected because we think it will help the cause of Christ in this country and around the world to have a Christian (narrowly defined) living in the White House. By acting in ways that betray Christ to get a politician elected we ultimately show where our hope lies and it is not in Christ.

Even though we say we are doing what we are doing for Christ, we indeed show that we don’t really have the trust and faith in Christ that we really want our country to have. As Christians we should support who we think would be the best president for our country, but with a healthy dose of reality that will tell us that they can’t fix America. There is only one King and we should never betray Him, even if we say we are only betraying Him to help Him.

While I’m preaching, though mostly to the choir, I should point out how hard this is for me. I really don’t like Hillary Clinton all that much. I choose not to hear her speak or read articles that I know will cast her in a positive light. Why? When I really think about I think it is because I want my negative views about her reinforced and I don’t want to hear anything good about her because then it will be harder to hate her. Isn’t part of our job as Christians to see the good in people (the image of God) and honor that which of it we see and not to magnify the bad we see in them? We like to make people worse than they are so that it will be easier to do mean things to them.

This is going to be hard for me, but this election year, I am going to try my hardest to see the best in every candidate, and not try to destroy any of them. Does that mean I won’t critique their policies or leadership abilities? No. But it does mean I will value them as the beloved of my Creator and honor them because they are bearers of His image.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Kevin!
Way to go!!

Daniel Coutz said...

It amazes me how believers can be so hateful towards candidates that do not nessecarily hold the same values as them. They tell cruel jokes about them, call them names,and sometimes worse. Yet when there is a president that they support because they think he is a "Christian" they emphasize how important it is for us to support and pray for them. If the democrat candidates are as terrible as they say how about doing a little praying for them.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you're writing again bro...

Warmly,
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.