Sunday, July 17, 2005

Soon to be Ordained

I get ordained this Tuesday night. In all of the events of the past month I more or less forgot about this coming up and the significance of the event. But it is finally here and my favorite GS, Jerry Porter, will be ordaining me.

The ordination service is in the midst of this thing we Nazarenes like to call district assembly. It's not as bad as it sounds. One of the things that goes on during district assembly, besides the ordination service, is the pastor's reports. Each lead pastor of a church has to give a 2 min. or less report to the assembly on how your church did in the last year. My report was scheduled to be given Wednesday morning, read after I'm ordained, so I decided to be creative for my report and write a song for it.

Well we had to turn in a copy of our reports in a few weeks ago to the district superintendent who for some reason really liked all the new start pastors reports (five of us including me) and asked us all to give our reports during the opening service of assembly Monday night, read before I'm ordained. This is a big service mind you and I'm going to sing my report and I don't sing good at all. Gulp! I'm so nervous.

For those of you who want to know, I rewrote Toby Keith's "I love this bar" and renamed it "I love our church." It should be an interesting couple of nights this week to say the least.

3 comments:

urBenLA said...

let us know how it goes... it's a good thing it's "after" your ordination. they can't kick you out after they ordain you, right?

Jamie said...

Oh no, it was moved to BEFORE he is ordained. But I don't think they can kick somebody out who receives a standing ovation after his report!!! Expecially since the D.S. don't him not to quit his day job and being the pastor is his day job. Great job Kev!!

John said...

Kev,

Did they record your report? I'd love to see and hear that! I wish I could be there for the service tonight. Who is praying for you during the ordination? Joe? Too bad I can't come up and serve communion for you tonight! I've come up with some new ideas since your wedding. :-) Love you man. Peace,